Sunday 20 January 2013

Customer service II

Making your customer struggle to get service is a bad idea.  If things are going right then the customer wants the easiest transaction possible. If things are going wrong the customer wants to feel that you are putting the effort in, not him.


A transaction

Looking for some replacement trainers, the assistant tells me: "Sorry, we don't have them in an 11".   The onus is then on me to ask whether they ever get them in, if another store might have them, how long it would take to order them, et cetera.

I walk across the road to another outlet. Here the assistant tells me: "Sorry, we don't have those in an 11 right now, but I think one of our other branches might do.  Hang on while I check, and we can either reserve them there or have them sent across to this branch.".  Of course the second store got my business.


A problem

"There's a problem with the wi-fi at the moment", I tell the hotel receptionist.
"Yes, it's not working right now".
"Ok, do you know when it's likely to be back?"
"No idea, I'm afraid"

Okay..... take two:

"There's a problem with the wi-fi at the moment", I tell the hotel receptionist.
"Yes, it's down because of the storm. Should be back in an hour or so, but it can be a bit unpredictable. There's an internet cafe just one block from here which has a really stable connection if you need to use the internet now".

Actually helpful. And if you deal with customers for a job then being helpful is part of the role. Don't leave them struggling.

More information is better than less. If something isn't working then explain why, and help your customer find another solution.  That's called customer service.


No comments:

Post a Comment