Sunday 13 January 2013

A primer on customer service

Passing time during a long connection in an airport, I was browsing in a shoe shop.  I don't need new shoes, but some of the pairs appealed to me. The only customer, I whiled away time picking up different shoes to see if they had them in my size, before moving slowly on to another pair.

Every so often I'd glance over to the counter where the two shop assistants were giggling over a magazine article. Neither of them looked up and made eye contact with me. A small but significant barrier to approaching them.

I do not need another pair of shoes (does any man?) but I was giving off strong buying signals.  Had either of the assistants come up to me and enthusiastically asked whether I needed any help, then I would have tried some shoes and almost certainly bought a pair.  Instead I left, and the shop stands in my memory only for its poor customer service.

Note to shopkeepers: engage your customer. The casual browser in your store can be nudged gently towards or away from a purchase. Minimise barriers. Your goal is to make it as easy as possible for him to buy what you're selling.




No comments:

Post a Comment