Thursday 10 January 2013

Time isn't money

Sorry I'm late. The traffic was really bad. Or I had to make a quick call. Or maybe I just completely lost track of time.  But it's not a big deal - it's only 10 minutes.

But wait: I'm not late for work, and I wouldn't be late for a job interview or a doctor's appointment. So why do I view my friends as less deserving of punctuality than my employer? If anything it should be the other way around. If I turn up on the dot every day for work, but am regularly late for meeting my friends, then my priorities are amiss.

More philosophically, time is life. Time is something that I can never get more of. I try not to waste time, and I try not to "kill" time. If I'm late in meeting you, then I'm not only showing how little I respect your time, but I'm pushing you into wasting an irrecoverable part of your life. But that's not so important - after all, I just couldn't get the car to start.




No comments:

Post a Comment