Thursday 14 March 2013

How to dehumanise somebody - part 3


Angels, super-heroes, and perfection



Will:   “This girl – she’s beautiful, she’s smart, she’s fun. She’s different to the other girls I’ve been with.”

Sean:   “So call her up, Romeo”

   “Why? So I can realise that she’s not that smart? That she’s fucking boring? This girl’s perfect right now. I don’t want to ruin that.”

  “Maybe you’re perfect right now. Maybe you don’t want to ruin that.... You’re not perfect sport, and let me save you the suspense – this girl you’ve met, she isn’t perfect either. But the question is whether or not you’re perfect for each other.”

- from Good Will Hunting


I look up to many people.  I’ve idolised a few of them.  The difference is this: I can admire someone and still understand that they have flaws; but when I idolise somebody I see only a part of them. To me they no longer have human failings, or if they do then I perceive these as being strengths.

In every case this has made it difficult for me to interact with them. And in every case I’ve ended up disappointed. Nobody is perfect. And coming to see this only late in a relationship is painful.

We grow up reading fairy tales. It’s easy to tell the good guys from the bad guys. The princes and princesses in these stories are portrayed as wonderful and beautiful and perfect. Boys want to be the prince, girls the princess. We learn to idolise from a young age.  Fine for the heroes in stories for children, but it teaches us that perfection exists.  It doesn’t; at least not for humans.

Idolising somebody places a barrier between us. We can never really get to know them. When we realise our idol is part made of lead – the human part – as well as lustrous gold, then we feel let down. But the disappointment that we feel can allow us to review and reform our relationship with them.

Remember, there are many ways to dehumanise someone, and one of these is to idolise them.

No comments:

Post a Comment