Sunday 31 March 2013

Some Rumi



The minute I heard my first love story
I started looking for you, not knowing
how blind that was.

Lovers don't finally meet somewhere.
They're in each other all along.

------------



When I am with you, we stay up all night.
When you're not here, I can't fall asleep.

Praise God for these two insomnias!
And the difference between them.

-----------


I am filled with you.
Skin, blood, bone, brain, and soul.
There's no room for lack of trust, or trust.
Nothing in this existence but that existence.


------------

Gamble everything for love,
if you're a true human being.

If not, leave
this gathering.

Half-heartedness doesn't reach
into majesty.  You set out
to find God, but then you keep
stopping for long periods
at mean-spirited roadhouses.

------------


If you want what visible reality
can give, you're an employee.

If you want the unseen world,
you're not living your triuth.

Both wishes are foolish,
but you'll be forgiven for forgetting
that what you really want is
love's confusing joy.


Rumi (trans. by Coleman Barks)

No comments:

Post a Comment